STUDY SPANISH IN CUERNAVACA, MEXICO
2019 Program dates: May 24- July 5, 2019 (6 weeks)
This program offers students an opportunity to experience firsthand the cultural awareness as well as the intellectual and linguistic growth that arise from an experience abroad. The exciting experience of travel and residence in a country and culture vastly different from our own is something a student cannot find in any classroom.
The program is led by an IUP professor of Spanish who will remain in residence for the first 2 weeks of the program. The faculty leader is responsible for coordinating and supervising the program, and will remain in contact with students throughout the program. The Faculty-Leader also serves as liaison between the students and the Mexican school.
Students attend classes at:
UNIVERSIDAD INTERNACIONAL (UNINTER) : a well-established and recognized university located in beautiful Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico.
Cuernavaca, known as the City of Eternal Spring is a historically and culturally rich city about 1.5 hours from Mexico City.
This program is designed for those who have already studied some Spanish:
This program is ideal for students Majoring or Minoring in Spanish or completing the Certificate in Spanish. SPAN244 Counts towards the Certificate.
- Students who have completed SPAN 201 with a grade of C or better will earn credit for SPAN220 and SPAN244 (6 credits).
Students who have completed SPAN 220 with a grade of C or better will earn credit for SPAN350 and SPAN244.
Other credit options may be available. Please consult the faculty-leader.
Program Cost: $4,251
Applicable undergraduate credits and IUP Fees. Scholarships May be Available!
Important note: A passport will be required by the time of travel.
Program Fee includes:
- Students should also plan extra money for airfare and personal expenses—purchases, gifts, entertainment, weekend travel, such as taxis around town and other local expenses.
- Financial aid is available to IUP students who qualify.
- Several scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis.
- If you are not an IUP student, please consult the faculty leader.
What to Expect:
- Orientation and overnight stay near Pittsburgh airport
- Transfers to Cuernavaca and return for all those who travel with the group
- Room and board in Cuernavaca – Home Stay Experience. Most participants find that the experience of living with a Mexican family for the summer is one of the most fruitful aspects of the program.
- Emergency medical attention at the school for minor complaints (but not medicines) 24/7
- Expenses for various day-long and half-day excursions
- Textbooks at UNINTER
- Office of International Program fees
The Spanish language program offered at the school is designed to develop conversational language proficiency. Classes are small and provide direct contact with native speaking instructor.
All courses are taught in Spanish, and students are expected to use Spanish as much as possible, in support of the language learning experience, including attending all classes.
The SPAN244 course assignments will engage students with the people and places of Mexico.
In addition to classes, there are many scheduled afternoon and weekend activities off campus, such as city tours, excursions, dance lessons, cooking classes, and more, often at nominal fees.
Dr. Christina Huhn
Faculty Leader, IUP-Mexico Cuernavaca Program
Sutton Hall, Room 481
1011 South Drive
Indiana, PA 15705-1087
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred)
Direct phone: 724-357-5596