Tips for Traveling Abroad
- Passport: check out the U.S. Department of State for closest passport location and application forms.
- Student visa (if applicable): Foreign Entry Requirements
- Make travel arrangements to and within host country.
- Research and purchase airfare, train passage, etc., and arrange transportation from the airport to your host campus, if applicable.
- Consider any health issues.
- Contact medical insurance provider for verification and details on overseas coverage. If you do not have coverage, see OIE for health insurance plans and brochures to cover you.
- Visit your family doctor and dentist before departing..
- If traveling with any prescriptions, obtain a letter from doctor or pharmacist.
- Register the trip with the U.S. Department of State (DOS) for the STEP program: The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.
STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency.
- STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency.
- STEP also allows Americans residing abroad to get routine information about the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.